The base was built in 1942 as the Santa Ana Naval Air Station.
The blimps were used to patrol America's coastline primarily to
watch for enemy submarines.
According to some sources, in the early 1950s the facility was
known as "Hanger City" during a period between being operated
by the Navy and then the Marines. Later the name was changed
to the Marine Corps Air Station Tustin.
Click here for video - 25 minutes